This house is one of eight semi-detached, brick fronted houses built around 1870 in South Dublin. As originally designed, an ornate double-hipped two-storey volume to the front contained the main reception rooms and bedrooms with a lower, two storey return to the rear and a further lean-to back pantry.
Since then at least five separate building campaigns have altered the rear and side of the house to keep up with changing domestic norms.
Some time ago the original pantry was demolished to make way for a glazed conservatory across the two storey return. Developing this intent further we opened up the back of the house to the garden with a series of steel-framed portals. Facing almost due North, and recalling a seasonally inhospitable veranda, the new rear elevation was layered to provide some sense of threshold. The new room is lit by seven windows on three elevations, so as to mitigate against a stark northerly aspect.
“It's an emblem of the new century, but with a delicacy that respects the old house.”
Irish Examiner Property Cover story
“Real Architectural intelligence at work”
AAI Awards Jury Commentary