Overlooking a leafy private square, this graceful Monkstown redbrick was built in 1925. The features and generous proportions of the rooms in the main house are typical of the era and so careful consideration was needed to maintain the distinct character of the house while re-ordering the house for contemporary life.
As well as needing functional spaces such as a utility, pantry and garage, the clients wanted a large bright kitchen / dining space and full sized double bedrooms with plenty of storage.
The new front façade uses modern building materials to juxtapose the original Edwardian red brick, allowing it to stand unopposed in its intended glory. Positioned behind the main house, the two story extension is clad with grey slatted timber and zinc with standing seams. The verticality and grey toned materials contrast and highlight the original brick structure.
At the back, a new wrap-around rear elevation will engage with a sloping rear garden and a South-westerly orientation, bringing light deep into the building. An ‘embrasure’ creates an interstitial space which mediates between house and garden, as well as creating a ceiling height more characteristic of the reception spaces of the original house.